Friday, June 27, 2014

Finding the Random in Everyday Life

My group was surprised by the effectiveness of random stimuli in the creative process, but over the weeks since our class I recognized that I should not have been: it’s been something that I’ve been depending on for years already.

One difficulty of following a vegan diet that isn’t necessarily obvious is the risk of falling into a rut. Veganism requires that you incorporate a healthy variety of foods into your diet in order to get proper, balanced nutrition… but it’s easy to get comfortable with a small variety of staple dishes and repeat them over and over again. For me, cooking is one of my major creative outlets, and I stumbled accidentally into the technique of random-stimulus-to-inspire-creativity when I started to receive a farm share order through a CSA.


When you don’t know from week to week what you’ll be cooking with, it inspires you. If you get watermelon radishes in the box of vegetables, and you’ve never in your life eaten them before (let alone cooked with them!) you have to just dive in and make an effort. Maybe you can find a recipe to start from, and maybe you can’t… but it’s watermelon radishes you have to work with, and that’s what you’re going to eat. It’s not that different from having rubber bands to work with, when you come right down to it. 

And sometimes, you end up with a great big piles of greens and you have to find a way to keep them interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment